Our friends at Smashing Magazine just posted an article outlining Mobile Web Design Trends for 2009, and they make a nice mention of our site. They found tons of fantastic mobile web design resources, many of which we will add to our own Mobile Web Resources page. So go check it out!
Mobile Awesomeness Blog
Designing and Developing Web Technologies on the Mobile Web.
Friday January 9, 2009
iWebKit is a relatively new framework for developing websites for the iPhone and iPod touch, and is the newest addition to our Mobile Web Resources page. It boasts advanced features, lightweight code and open source, expandable source code. Version 4.1 was just released, so check it out!
Friday January 9, 2009
The monthly Admob Metrics Report was released yesterday, and had some really great highlights for mobile web developers. Mobile web usage is literally growing by leaps and bounds each month.
Again this report is not a measure of phone usage, but of data usage measured by impressions over the Admob advertising network. Overall this report gives web developers a great idea of who is using the mobile web, what phones they are using, and where they are located geographically.
- Worldwide requests were up 9% over last month, to nearly 6.3 billion
- North American requests were up by 20% over last month, thanks to a big boost after Christmas
- The iPod touch is the big winner in December, with requests growing by 340% worldwide. In July, the device generated 18 million requests, and in December it generated 292 million requests.
- 70% of iPod touch traffic comes from the US, and Christmas was a difference-maker. In the seven days after Christmas, requests were up 240% compared to the seven days before Christmas.
- Smartphones continue explosive growth, now accounting for 33% of worldwide requests. The Symbian and iPhone operating systems now make up 73% of smartphones worldwide.
The following stats are based on 6,290,653,484 requests:
Top 5 Countries
- United States (45.8%, +3.8%)
- Indonesia (13.2%, -3%)
- India (7.0%, -0.9%)
- United Kingdom (3.4%, -0.9%)
- Philippines (2.7%, -0.1%)
Top 5 Worldwide Handsets
- Apple iPhone (10.8%, +4.4%)
- Apple iPod Touch (4.7%, +3.2%)
- Motorola RAZR V3 (3.4%, -0.3%)
- Nokia N70 (2.4%, -0.3%)
- Motorola KRZR K1c (1.7%, -0.2%)
Top 5 US Handsets
- Apple iPhone (16.2%, +6.3%)
- Apple iPod Touch (7.1%, +4.8%)
- Motorola RAZR V3 (6.4%, -1.1%)
- Motorola KRZR K1c (3.7%, -0.7%)
- Motorola Z6m (3.4%, -0.3%)
Posted in Reports & Stats